We are getting more and more requests for student travel insurance for overseas exchange and high school exchange programs. This is one of the most exciting times of your life and while you should always make the most of every moment away, it’s also critical that you take steps to safeguard your health and belongings while you’re off exploring the world. The easiest and most cost-effective way to do this is with quality student travel insurance from Insure4Less.

We provide cheap travel insurance for Australian students planning an overseas exchange trip, to give you the freedom to relax and enjoy the experience without having to worry about something happening while you’re away from home. No matter how old you are or where you’re going, we have quality travel insurance policies to suit.

Under 18 and travelling alone? We can cover you! Just enter the number of children travelling in the section of the quote form which asks for ‘Other children aged under 18 years’.

Get a travel insurance quote today by filling out the Quick Quote form to the right, and find out just how much you can save!

Student Travel

We Meet All Visa Requirements

If you’re planning to become an overseas exchange student then you may well find that there is a visa requirement for the country you are visiting that requires you to take out travel insurance that at least meets a minimum set of limits, as established by that country’s government.

As far as we are aware, all of our student travel insurance policies from Insure4Less meet and exceed these requirements. These limits and requirements will vary depending on the country you are visiting for your exchange program, however below is an example taken from the US exchange student travel insurance website, where we have compared our cover with what they say you must have to show you the extent and quality of our comprehensive and cheap travel insurance policies.

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness: Insure4Less provides up to $Unlimited AUD under the ‘medical expenses’ section of the policy wording.
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500: Insure4Less provides this up to $Unlimited AUD under the ‘medical expenses’ section of the policy wording.
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000: Insure4Less provides this up to $Unlimited AUD under the ‘medical expenses’ section of the policy wording.
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness: Insure4Less has an excess of $135 AUD per accident or illness.

Please see our Product Disclosure Statement for full details about our policies. If you would like us to compare our travel insurance with the requirements of the country you’re travelling to, please send us an email at travel@insure4less.com.au with the relevant details. 

What your Student Travel Insurance Policy Covers

Our comprehensive travel insurance plans are available in various levels of cover so you can choose the right one for your budget and travel plans. They all provide effective cover for a full range of situations that you can encounter while you’re travelling, to ensure you’re never left out of pocket. This cover includes:  

  • Medical, hospital, surgical and dental expenses
  • Loss, theft or damage to your baggage, valuables, personal money and travel tickets including Passport and Visas
  • Missed departures or connections
  • Cancellation, loss of deposit and curtailment
  • Travel delays
  • Car rental excess waiver
  • Abandonment of trip
  • Personal liability
  • Legal advice and expenses
  • Accidental death and permanent disability
  • Catastrophes including terrorism, war, epidemics and pandemics, and natural disasters
  • Search and rescue expenses
  • Hijack benefit
  • Resumption of trip
  • Travel carrier insolvency

See our Summary of Cover for more information about each section and the maximum amounts payable for these sections.

You also have the option of taking out either a single trip or multi trip travel insurance policy, to give you complete flexibility in your cover. Both provide the same inclusions, exclusions and levels of cover, while the multi-trip also gives you the opportunity to save money if you’ll be travelling more frequently.

Single trip travel insurance is purchased each time you travel, so if you are only making one return overseas exchange trip then this is the most effective cover for you.

Multi trip travel insurance covers multiple trips per year, so if your exchange will involve more than one trip in one year then this type of travel insurance may offer more convenience and value for money. 

New York

Applying for Exchange and Preparing for Travel

There are many things that you’ll need to do in preparation for your exchange trip overseas. If you are applying for exchange through your high school or university, they will generally provide guidance about the steps you need to take, help you complete the correct application forms and make sure you are aware of anything else you need to arrange.

Here are all the essentials:

Preparation and Research

This includes researching both the destination you are planning on visiting, and the eligibility requirements you will need to meet in order to study overseas.

Depending on the school or university you attend, you may need to have a minimum grade average, be enrolled in specific classes or courses, have completed a minimum portion of your degree or classes, and/or have any necessary language skills. It’s a good idea to attend an information session or speak with a relevant advisor before you apply, to ensure you have a good chance of being accepted.

You should also research your destination to familiarise yourself with the culture, climate, geography and customs. Get an idea of your accommodation options – some exchange programs will provide on-campus accommodation, while others will require you to organise your own – and the costs of living.

Apply Early

The application process for overseas exchange will vary between schools and universities, so it’s always better to start early just in case it takes up to a few months to complete.

Passport and Visas

Make sure you have a valid Passport and all the relevant visas. Some countries will require you to hold a student visa, which can take up to 6 weeks to process, so do your research and submit your applications as soon as possible.

Visit Your Doctor

It’s always a good idea to get a general health check-up before you go overseas for an extended period of time, and make sure all your vaccinations are up to date. Your doctor will also be able to tell you if you’ll need any additional vaccinations for the country you’re visiting.

Try and see your doctor at least a month or two before you leave, as some vaccinations need to be given over a period of several weeks and others will require time to take effect.

Organise Your Finances

Plan a realistic budget by researching the living costs in your host country, and planning ahead for your lifestyle, accommodation and any additional travel plans. You should also be aware of exchange rates, conversion fees and international ATM access fees. Plan to use a credit card or travel money card as much as possible, which will offer much better exchange rates than foreign exchange counters. Alternatively, opening a bank account in the country you are visiting is one of the best ways to avoid these fees altogether.

As a general rule, one semester of exchange will cost approximately $10,000 - $12,000. Some universities and schools will provide scholarships, grants or loans to assist students with funding their exchange trip – talk to your exchange advisor to find out if there are financial assistance options available to you.

Register Your Travel Plans

Visit the Smart Traveller website to register your travel plans with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This will make it easy for the Australian Government to contact and find you in an emergency situation, as well as advise you if you are in a particularly affected area and provide you with relevant safety information and updates.

Get Exploring!

Start exploring the world and get a quick student travel insurance quote today!

Quick Quote




Destination & Type of Cover Complete!

What type of cover are you looking for?

Single trip: Covers trips of up to a total of 365 days in total inc one way travel. Cover for snow sports activities can be included.

Annual multi trip: Covers you for an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period up to a maximum duration of 31, 45, 62 or 93 days per trip after which you must return to Australia before commencing a new trip. Trips wholly within Australia are insured if they include at least one overnight stay and a minimum distance of 250kms from your place of residence. Each policy includes up to 23 days snow sports cover (on piste). If you are travelling over 93 days, please select a standard, single trip travel insurance quote.

Policy Type

Where are you travelling to?

Please select the region where you are travelling to: The countries covered under each region will appear when you select the region.

Travelling To

How many people should be covered?

Please select whether you are travelling as an individual, with your partner / friend (couple) ; as a family group where one of the children is under 18 years; as a group.


Maximum Trip Length

Travel Dates Complete!

I'd like my cover to start on

Please select the day that you commence your trip. You will be covered for claims that result in you having to cancel your trip before this date and therefore forfeit deposits paid - subject to the policy terms and conditions.

Cover Start Date

Cover Start Date

And it should end on

Please select the date that you plan to return back into Australia or if you are on a one way trip - the date that you will arrive in your final destination.

Cover End Date

Travellers planning to stay in the United States (not Canada) for 365 days or more: Following recent healthcare reforms in the United States we are unable to insure travellers who are planning to be in the United States (not Canada) for 365 days or more.

Cover End Date


Will you be travelling to countries outside of the USA & Canada?

If you plan to visit the USA or Canada more than once during your trip, please calculate the total number of days you will be there. Then enter the date leaving USA or Canada as the total number of days from the date arriving.

For example: You will be in the US from 1st March to 31st March (31 days) and 10th October to 26th October (17 days) = 48 days in total. So you would have a start date of 1st March and an end date of 17th April. Ie 48 days. You will receive your certificate in an email, so simply reply to the email advising the correct dates of travel within USA or Canada and we will endorse the policy accordingly.

Following healthcare reforms in the US we cannot insure travellers who are planning to stay in the USA (not Canada) for 365 days or more.

Date arriving in USA/Canada

Date leaving USA/Canada

Travellers Complete!

In order to obtain the best value, you should include a least one adult in each policy. The maximum number of travellers we can insure under one quote/policy is 50. If you have more than 50 then you should obtain more than one quote but ensuring that there is an adult in each subsequent quote.

Please note that ages are at the date of obtaining the quote, not the date of travel.

Traveller's Age

We can insure travellers up to and including 75 years at the date of purchase. Please note it is age at date of purchase rather than at date of travel.


We can insure travellers up to and including 75 years at the date of purchase. Please note it is age at date of purchase rather than at date of travel.

Traveller's Age

We can insure travellers up to and including 75 years at the date of purchase. Please note it is age at date of purchase rather than at date of travel.

Adults 21 to 35 years

Adults 36 to 50 years

Adults 51 to 55 years

How many people should be covered?

We can insure travellers up to and including 65 years at the date of purchase. Please note it is age at date of purchase rather than at date of travel.

Adults 56 to 60 years

How many people should be covered?

We can insure travellers up to and including 65 years at the date of purchase. Please note it is age at date of purchase rather than at date of travel.

Adults 61 to 65 years

Adults 66 to 70 years

Adults 71 to 75 years

Children under 21 in a family

Other children under 21 years

For more info see our FAQs and Product Disclosure Statement.